Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / VIP Expiring 2024 giveaway thread (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

AAdvantage members on FT with no opportunity or plans to use expiring SWU) often gift them to other FlyerTalk members.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily deleted (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."
  • Asking for SWU here is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • To comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airline’s instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).
  • Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty or French taxe de solidarité sur les billets d'avion).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage terms and conditions.)
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. FT members have been sanctioned by AA in the past for these kinds of actions. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.
Thanks everyone!
~AAdvantage forum Moderator team

Using expiring SWU beyond their expiration date.
It has been reported as possible here that some may be able to use an SWU beyond it’s programmed expiration date:

Those few very high value flyers with high “Eagle” (Helix score) ratings may receive extensions for unused SWU, but that is not an option for most AAdvantage members. Requests to do so will be met with a firm “no” from AA.

The system will, however, pull the SWU with the earliest expiration date. At least it has recently, and no reports on this being “fixed” have been reported. There are certain conditions that must be met for this to occur:

The AAdvantage member must have requalified as Concierge Key or Executive Platinum for the 2020 status year, and have SWU expiring 31 Jan 2021 in their account.

The SWU “pull” by the system must be prior to the SWU expiration date, even if the flight is past it - e.g. sometimes a SWU will “pull” long before the formal upgrade window, or if you can confirm a flight occurring 1 Feb or later with an SWU upgrade prior to 31 January — the system is programmed to pull your SWU with the earliest expiration date.

You can’t call and request this, it occurs naturally because (at least recently) the system is programmed that way. An agent will merely tell you this can’t be done (potentially, unless you’ve got Eagles galore.

You can’t upgrade using miles and copay, then switch to a SWU.

NOTE: 2023 thread has been archived here.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Please read the wiki for the rules for this thread. Posts that do not comply will be summarily deleted. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. And many thanks in advance for the generosity of our members!

(PS: If any knowledgeable members would like to help update the wiki, please feel free to contibute! )

/JY1024, AAdvantage forum moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 26, 2024 at 9:55 pm Reason: Creating first post
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold

1. Must have immediately confirmable C availability on an international long-haul flight (the longer the better; LAX-SYD gets preference over JFK-LHR).
2. FTers with a record of of positive participation in the forum will get preference.
3. I will respond only to the "winner".

If interested, please PM me your PNR along with your name and phone no.! No need to respond in the thread.
travelergurl likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
1. Must have immediately confirmable C availability on an international long-haul flight (the longer the better; LAX-SYD gets preference over JFK-LHR).
2. FTers with a record of of positive participation in the forum will get preference.

If interested, please PM me your PNR along with your name and phone no.! No need to respond in the thread.
Gone. Sorry I couldn't accommodate all 3 requests!
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
3 SWUs expiring March 6,

. With apologies to vasantn whose words I've copied as most succinctly reflecting my preferences:

1. Must have immediately confirmable award C (not the C sold as a non-award class) availability on an international long-haul flight (the longer the better; LAX-SYD gets preference over JFK-LHR).

If interested, please PM me your PNR along with your name and phone no.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: American Ailrines
I was looking for the 2024 thread but couldnt find one.

And copying from others

I've got 2 SWUs available expiring 06/April 2024.
As others mentioned, priorities are long haul international departing from US with confirmed availability.
If anyone can use them, please DM your PNR and related info to try having them applied.
Cheers!

EDITED:Taken, thanks!

Last edited by acoop225; Mar 28, 2024 at 6:02 am Reason: Taken
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
2 SWU Expiring TOMORROW 03/19/24

I have 2 SWU Expiring tomorrow (I know short notice).

Copying and revising criteria from above:

1. Must have immediately confirmable C availability on an international long-haul flight. Also, if there are additional taxes that need to be collected, I'm probably disinclined to do it.
2. Given the short timeline, if I don't get any requests for international long-haul, transcons (non-stop or with connections) I am open to helping with.

2. FTers with a record of of positive participation in the forum will get preference. (i.e. if you have 1 post, eh...)
3. I will respond only to the "winner" but will update this post when they are taken.

Thanks!

EDITED: Both are spoken for. Thanks, all!

Last edited by DMPHL; Mar 19, 2024 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
EDIT: claimed!
2 SWUs expiring tomorrow. (3/28)

PM Dates, itin, and full name (name alone should be ok). I'll send my Venmo username if taxes need to be collected.

Confirmable C Space will take priority, along with the longest flight(s).

Will get to this midday tomorrow.
ZenFlyer and JY1024 like this.

Last edited by meechyathere; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:39 am
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:43 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Frontier Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Update: all gone! Three confirmed one-ways, and one r/t that wasn't able to be fully confirmed, but that the agent thought had a good chance of doing so.

I have five zero SWUs expiring April 13th, and while I'm looking for at least one trip to use two of them on, I doubt I'll find anything; and even if I do, that leaves three I'm sure I won't be able to use.

Copying and revising criteria from above:

1. Must have immediately confirm-able C availability on an international long-haul flight. If there are additional taxes that need to be collected, I'm probably disinclined, but may be willing to do so if I'm reimbursed for the taxes.
2. since I have an odd number of SWUs, FTers who only only need a single one will get priority.
3. FTers with a record of of positive participation in the forum, or with an entertaining story for why they want them, will get preference. (i.e. if you have 1 post, or it's your 10th business trip to London this year, eh...)
3. I will respond only to the "winners" but will update this post as they are taken.

Thanks, and safe travels!

P.S.: this is my first time doing this, so you may have to walk me through applying the SWUs to your flight; from above, it looks like I'll need at least dates, ITIN, and full name
P.P.S.: if you know of an inexpensive flight prior to the expiration date and with upgrade availability, departing PDX to anywhere international and fun, PM me with suggestions - my travel availability is wide open!

Last edited by lokkju; Apr 12, 2024 at 4:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.